Friday, May 20, 2011

#15 Full Moon May and Libra the Scales of Justice

Hello Friends!

It has been awhile since I've posted last.  May has been rather busy for me, and it appears there is a bit of a waiting game to get into the summer constellations.  I realized then that the summer night sky, while interesting, has a bit of a meditative quality to it in regards to the fact that it is one of the visually darkest and devoid skies, other than for the Milky Way that is beautifully stretched across the sky.

So, this past week the Full Moon made its appearance.  This then is our fodder for today's post.  The May Full Moon is named the Full Flower Moon, for the sole idea that most every plant and tree has flowered due to the April precipitation.  The May Moon is also known as the Milk Moon, for what reason we do not know.

When I saw the full moon a few nights ago, I likened it to a Milk Moon, because the weather had cooled out here in the desert southwest and humidity (yes...moisture) had been evident in the sky, thus the moon took on a milky appearance to me.  I have enjoyed recently sitting on my balcony and staring into the blackness of the sky, and relaxing and being grateful for life in general.  Life has been tough as of late, and I have missed the slow and calming energies of the night sky.  This urges me to find when the next meteor shower will be active so as to just enjoy a night of gazing into the sky and catching the chance to see a brilliant spark of burning gas hurtling to the Earth from outer space.  HINT: Late July and Early August!

I realized that I have not given credit to my zodiac sign, Libra the Scales!  Libra is the only zodiac sign that is not human or animal, and did not exist until separated from Scorpio the Scorpion.  Libra used to represent the claws of Scorpio, but later was given a place in the sky by the Romans as the scales of justice and balance in 1 AD.  I suppose this makes sense, as Libra balances out the zodiac, and could be seen as a mark of balance between times BC and AD.  It also marks the fascination of the ancients with the balance of all celestial life cycles, whether they be the seasons, day and night, or birth and death.

Catch you next time: we will start with an introduction to Hercules and Draco!

No comments:

Post a Comment