Friday, April 1, 2011

#11 Saturn and a distant Star Cluster

Greetings Earthlings!  It's an optimal time to view Saturn!

Last weekend, I enjoyed an impromptu backyard night sky viewing in which I enjoyed the mid-spring night sky.  With Leo high in the sky, and Virgo rising shortly thereafter, I was excited to view the adjunct areas of the dark sky.

Within this area is a richness of deep sky objects (Galaxies and Star Clusters) that the more patient viewer can zero in on.  I chose to find M3, a star cluster to the north of Arcturus, the bright beige spring sky currently in the Eastern horizon, and part of the Coma Berenices star clusters, and M51, a spiral galaxy that is found at the end of the handle of the Big Dipper constellation.

I was able to successfully resolve M3!  A beautiful globular cluster sitting within the darkness of what appears to be deep dark sky, M3 surely was bright.  I look forward to again viewing M3 once further up in the night sky, as I believe some light and atmospheric pollution may have dimmed optimal viewing.  I enjoyed yet again the company of my in-laws to view the night sky.

M51, however, was not as easy to find.  About and hour or so later, I found what appeared to be M51, but with the city night sky to the Northeast of us, the light pollution did not yield any favors.  So, I will wait for about another few weeks and attempt a reviewing.

Saturn is in opposition this Sunday, meaning it is at its closest to the Earth in its orbit.  It appears that the Sun sets and Saturn rises in the same area in the Eastern sky as the Earth spins from the Sun and faces out towards Saturn.  This allows for the brightest and best view of Saturn.  I enjoyed sharing the planet with my in-laws and wife this time.  I really enjoyed the view this year of Saturn; I would say it was the best view of the planet I have ever encountered.  I remember the first view of Saturn I had; it was with my neighbor Scott with his older telescope and it looked like a small tan sticker in the eyepiece.  My view showed clearly the gap between the planet's body and rings; the rings still vertically aligned.  Not known is the fact that Saturn's axis tilts and this makes the rings on Saturn appear at different angles as it orbits around the Sun.

Next time we will visit the stories of the constellations Leo the Lion and Virgo the Virgin.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment